Saturday, February 23, 2008

Making a difference

I have recently been feeling as if I am not making enough of an inpact in my student's lives/communication. Sometimes, especially with me more severe kiddos, I feel like I am not doing enough to make a valuable difference in their life outcomes. I know that progress will be slow for most of my students, but it can be hard seeing kids day after day and working on the same skill everyday. So, needless to say I was getting kind of upset and feeling like I wasn't serving my students in the best way possible. I recently went to a conference in San Antonio and attended one class that I thought was very worth while. I learned a lot of information that I am ready to take back and use with some of kiddos in the life skills program. It will be a big undertaking for me to get started, but I feel like I might be able to make a positive difference if I take the time to implement what I learned. Right now I am feeling good about attending the conference and learning some new techniques....we'll see how I feel in two weeks after I have been working with my students again.
Time for ramblings....Our conference was located in downtown San Antonio, on the riverwalk. It is such a beautiful location, but--let me tell you how hard it is to navigate the streets (walking and driving). I feel like after spending two days in downtown, I should be able to tell someone how to get to the convention center (where our conference was)....I can honestly say that I would probably get that person lost if I attempted to give directions. After locating the convention center upon arriving in San Antonio, I set out on the mission to find cheap parking. Yea Right! My first attempt ended up with me accidentally getting back on the highway and traveling a mile or so down the road in order to loop back around. My second attempt led me into the RiverCenter Mall parking garage. I was excited that it was relatively empty, and I parked my car and walked downstairs. WRONG! As soon as I get downstairs, I find out that will cost me $20 to park all day. So, I marched back upstairs and left the garage...but not after paying one dollar for being in the garage 2.5 minutes. I finally found parking, but I worried all day that my car would be gone when I came back that night to move it to the hotel. (But that is just how my mind works) I was able to see much of the downtown area because our hotel was located directly across from market square (about a mile or so from the convention center). Friday morning, my friends and I decided to leave our cars at the hotel and walk to the convention center to save some money. We not only got our exercise, but we also saw a variety of interesting people along the way..hehe. Oh well, I guess all the walking and getting lost was worth the information that I learned in one of my sessions....hopefully :)

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Would believe 30 some odd years ago when I worked in downtown San Antonio I paid $20.00 a month to park my car across the street from the bank where I worked? I thought it was highway robbery at the time. I did it because I used to park at the downtown Sears for free and walk several blocks to work but then a flasher showed up on my route that was the end of that. By the time I quit in 1979 it was a little iffy to just walk across the street after dark. During those days I could find my way around to almost anywhere down town. I'm sure it's all different now.
I'm in a life skills class with mostly autistic high school kids. I'm sure what you are doing is worth the effort. Don't doubt yourself. You do make a difference. It does take time, but it will sink in eventually.
Love you, Sam

About Me

My photo
Well, I am currently in my third year of my first real job. I am a Speech Pathologist for a local school district. I really enjoy my job!! I also got married two years ago to my best friend, Chris. We got married in July 2007 and currently live in Austin. I love to read endlessly and spend time with those that I love.