Monday, February 4, 2008

A Taylor-tabulous weekend

Chris and I went home to Galveston for the weekend. I hadn't seen my parentals and sister since right after Christmas, so I was in need of a little family time. Saturday my parents, Chris, and I went up to Lake Houston to do some fishing. Let me paint a picture of our adventures on the lake for you. We get to the lake around 1:00 p.m. It is a beautiful February day, 74 degrees to be exact. We lauch the boat and head across the lake to check out all of the fishing spots that my parents claim have tons of fish. The first cove we stop at ends up taking one of dad's lures. Score: Lake -1 Taylors-0. Next we start down the lake a little farther to check out the 'river' that has many fish. After retrieving many lures from tangled messes in tree stumps, we still had caught a total of 0 fish. (I say we, but I actually was not fishing. I have still not come to liking the fishing pasttime. I will sit with others who are fishing. But, let's be honest, Fish kinda freak me out. They flop around and are covered with slimy scales. I had a pet fish once, named Stripey. I liked to watch him in his 1 gallon tank, but whenever his tank had to be cleaned I would freak out. So, to solve the situation I bought a snail to clean the tank. Then the snail died, and I am sad to say that that was also the sad end to Stripey as well.) Anywho, at this point I noticed that it was starting to get rather chilly, and the sun that I was basking in was suddenly perpetually hidden behind a mass of grey clouds. We (or rather, they) fished for a while longer (score update lake-2 taylors-0) and never caught a fish. Mom exclaimed "I've got one" several times, but they were all false alarms of logs tricking her. We all decide that it is time to head back to the truck because the wind is starting to pick up. As we head back across the lake, we realize that we have to ride the whole way into the wind. By this point, I wrapped my whole body inside my t-shirt but the artic blast keep attacking. We made it back to the truck in about 30 or so minutes....the longest 30 minutes of my life (hehe). We got to the truck and defrosted ourselves, and come to find out...the truck temperature still read 70 degrees. I think God sent an artic storm over Lake Houston and miraculously ended it just in time so we cold safely drive back to Galveston. or, maybe I am just that much of a whimp. Despite the frostbite, I had a wonderful weekend with my wonderful family. I miss not being able to spend more time with them....

6 comments:

Sabrina said...

Frostbite!!! Give me a break!! Did you have a wind chill of 65? You'd have to cut a hole in the ice to go fishin' around here. I am with you on the fishing thing. I never really did understand the allure of sitting in a boat, being quiet (Grandpa Herb always insisted on that)and fishing. I hate fishing! Give me a shopping spree instead! Glad you had some time with the fam. I can hear your mom getting all excited and yelling "I've got one!" She gets excited easily-always has.

Katie said...

Leslie Ann, 70 degrees is not cold. I would give anything for you and Chris to be able to visit us in the Winter. Last week our windchills were below 0. This post was great and I laughed out loud. Although I don't touch fish or even like the way they tast, I like the idea of fishing. Being on a boat sounds very relaing!

Sabrina said...

Hey Leslie, Check out Katie's blog-we got a snow day (Wednesday)! Do they close school in Austin when it's 70 and windy? Sorry - I had to rub it in one more time. Living in Nebraska does have it's perks sometimes.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I don't really like fishing either. One time when we were in North Dakota we went fishing, but the only thing i caught was my katie. (I accidently swung my fishing pole and the hook got caught on her foot. hehe) But that's fun that you got to see your family. :)

Sabrina said...

Just for the record, Natalie, you have never been to North Dakota. That trip was to the Black Hills of SOUTH DAKOTA.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

oops, i forgot.

About Me

My photo
Well, I am currently in my third year of my first real job. I am a Speech Pathologist for a local school district. I really enjoy my job!! I also got married two years ago to my best friend, Chris. We got married in July 2007 and currently live in Austin. I love to read endlessly and spend time with those that I love.