Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I can do all things through Christ....even rebuild!

Hurricane Ike has come and gone, but the devastation in Galveston is long-lasting. The pictures that I have seen are engraved in my mind. Every picture and story I hear touches my heart in a different way. To see buildings and houses that have been a part of my life for so long, that are now nothing but a pile of rubble, is hard to comprehend. We have hard several reports on that status of my parents house, but don't know which one is true. According to some, we had at least 1-1/2 feet of water in the house (and maybe my mom's car-which is in the driveway). The mayor suggests that power won't be restored for another month and that the island won't be 'liveable' until Christmastime. The city officials allowed a 'look and leave' today for residents to go to their houses and assess the damage-but they had to leave the island by 6pm. Well, too many residents came to the island and the plan did not go as anticipated. So, now we are back to no one being allowed on the island until further notice. Mom and dad are currently in San Antonio and Jennifer, Abby, and Alley-cat are with Chris and I. I am without words. Jesus, please be with all those who have lost everything-including houses, loved ones, and personal belongings. Please give us all the strength to rebuild and renew. We can do all things only through you, Lord.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Amen and Amen.

I am praying for y'all and I have many friends who are also praying. I know of several prayer chains here in Nebraska that you all are on.

Joshua 1:9 (New American Standard Bible)

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Our faith will see us through. Thank you, Leslie, for your post and for opening your home to smurfs and refugees.
I love you!
Sam

Katie said...

Hi Leslie,

Did I understand your post right in reading that your dad and Grandpa are not going to be able to go to Galveston to "look and leave". I was so hoping that they would be able to. I am so sorry for everything your family is having to endure. Let me know if I can be of help even though I am hundreds of miles away.

Love you!
Katie

LesAnn said...

The city officials still are only letting contractors and 'official business' people on the island. Dad is trying desperately to find a way onto the island just to be able to look at the house. I will keep you guys updated. love you too!

About Me

My photo
Well, I am currently in my third year of my first real job. I am a Speech Pathologist for a local school district. I really enjoy my job!! I also got married two years ago to my best friend, Chris. We got married in July 2007 and currently live in Austin. I love to read endlessly and spend time with those that I love.